Thursday, June 4, 2015

5-5-15 Woods Hole Hostel

I showed up at Woods hole around 2 pm and asked the owners Neville and Michael if I could do work for stay. Michael had brush that needed to be cleared for a fence project and agreed. I worked for 4 hours cutting and hauling mostly rhododendron. The cabin that the bunks were in was built out of chestnut logs in the 1880's, most American chestnut trees were killed by blight in the early 1900's and very few exist today. I joined the owners for dinner and breakfast the 2 nights I stayed. Neville keeps a garden and supplements her home cooked meals with fresh greens. She cooks her own bread which is amazing and sources all other ingredients locally mostly at an amish grocery. I love this place the farm is around 800 acres with cows, goats and pigs. They use a wood fired boiler for heat and hot water (amazing showers). In the morning you are encouraged to volunteer with daily chores like sweeping out the bunk house, bring the used towels to the main house, wipe surfaces etc. The cabin has been in Neville's family for 80 or so years so it has a lot of tradition, they really make you feel like family. 



No comments:

Post a Comment