Monday, June 1, 2015

4-20-15 thru 4-28-15 Sprained Ankle / recovery


The rain was torrential most of the night, so loud on the metal roof of the shelter you could barely sleep. I woke up around 6 am to shooting pain in my ankle, it had swollen badly and turned an ugly red. I forced my shoes on and got geared up to go. I was determined to see the ponies in the Grayson Highlands and try to enjoy my day. I was limping badly and hiking at half pace every step was painful. I spotted a small herd a couple hundred yards down a hillside. I took my pack off and sat on a rock and after a few minutes their curiosity got the best of them and they came over to investigate. The ponies are born wild but they see a lot of people so they can be friendly. After a half hour they moved on , what peaceful creatures. I had to hike around 20 miles to a road crossing and then hitch hike another 20 miles to Marion Virginia to get to a hospital. The doctor looked at it and immediately ordered xrays. Later he came back and told me surprisingly there is no bone or tendon damage. He prescribed anti-inflammatory pills and told me to stay off it for 10 days. I went to the Troutdale church hostel and the pastor agreed to let me stay to recover. During my stay I helped with a broken water line at the church. The weather was clear the whole time I was off trail which drove me nuts because I couldn't hike!



No comments:

Post a Comment