Saturday, March 28, 2015

3-24-15 (back post) last night in Georgia

I asked people at camp what the book said about the trail ahead, they said 2 steep climbs ahead, tray mountain and  Kelly knob. I got over tray no problem but Kelly was extreme! I had to stop 6 times it was pure pain hardest challenge yet. Every time I thought it was over I came around a bend an there was more uphill. When I finally made the top I was rewarded with a view of Standing Indian Mountain and behind it the aptly named Great Smoky Mountains.... There was a hiker named Tater at the top a man of about 60 who hiked the entire AT in 2000. Tater gave me a cold Pepsi! I could hardly believe my luck once again blessed by trail magic, the southern mountains are full of people like Tater. People like this are a real inspiration to us hikers and they can give you the drive to continue.
 After Kelly Knob it was down hill for 4 miles to a road crossing where I caught a free shuttle a half a mile to the Top of Georgia hostel. I had a pizza and decided to not stay at the hostel as I just stayed at mountain crossings hostel 2 days before. I caught the last shuttle back to the trail and made a mile of trail to a nice little campsite and met some new people who had a nice fire going. We all sat together and told stories under the stars until exhaustion set in. A perfect end to a perfect day.

No comments:

Post a Comment