Friday, April 3, 2015

3-31-15 The Fontana Hilton





The Fontana Dam is closed this time of the year to tourism but thru-hikers are always welcome. The shelter is called the Fontana Hilton because it actually has a shower and electric. The bunks sleep 24 and there is a huge fire pit and a little park to put tents in. The village of Fontana has a postal code but in fact just an overgrown resort. I was told there are only 13 year round residents. After the trail crosses the dam you are officially in the smoky mountains, home to about 1500 black bears which is roughly 2 per square mile. All the hikers had a fun night we swapped stories and news around the fire pit.  I met new people because I am starting to make good miles and all the people I started with are days behind me.

No comments:

Post a Comment