Thursday, April 23, 2015

4-10-15 laurel hostel

Today I started hiking at about 8 am and it rained until noon when I stopped for a snack at a shelter. I was joined by 2 other hikers and I asked if they knew of any resupply up ahead. They told me there was a road crossing 2 miles up and a hostel 1.8 east. So I hiked off trail and found the laurel hostel. The owner was a big guy with a holstered gun on his hip and an easy smile. I ordered a Philly cheese steak, took a needed shower and washed my laundry. The bunks were in a small out building with satellite TV , the shower was in the store's bathroom and they had a small selection  of goods for sale. Business was very slow only 2 locals came in during the 2 hours I was there. I sat down at a table in the store and ate lunch  talked guns and made friends with the owner. I decided it was too early to stop for the day and he offered to give me a ride back to the trail (saved me a 1.8 mile uphill walk). I made it to a shelter an hour before dark and made dinner and found 2 people were sick so I decided to move on in the dark. within an hour I felt sick to my stomach and I made camp at sams gap which is a highway crossing.



No comments:

Post a Comment